Sunday, January 30, 2011

Earthquake of 2001

Our memory is generally short.
A news item recently caught my eye. It was highlighting how Kutch has re-developed itself in the last 10 years.
Re-developed? Yes after the huge earthquake that shook Gujarat on 26th January 2001.
Suddenly I remember clearly how my parents were on a train from Kolkata to Surat and I really could not inform them about the disaster. Mobile phones were not so common in those days in India. They narrated the scenes in Surat (which is miles away from Kutch) after they reached. People were sleeping on the open areas as the after shocks continued. I could just imagine what it must have been like in the heart of the quake.
Today, the resilient Kutchis have turned everything around and made it nice and bright. Two stories in the Times of India describe the same. There are many more success stories there. Click here to read 1 and 2.
I also offer a silent prayer to all the lives that were lost......

No comments:

Post a Comment